Thursday 2 June 2011

MMA Combat - GSP on Fighting Diaz: "It's Time to Walk the Walk"

MMA Combat - GSP on Fighting Diaz: "It's Time to Walk the Walk"

Dana White announced Wednesday that UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre would fight Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz October 29 at UFC 137 in Las Vegas, marking the first true crossover fight since Zuffa purchased Strikeforce in March.

GSP will look to go 2-0 against the Cesar Gracie camp after just recently fighting his way to a five round unanimous decision victory over Diaz's friend and training partner Jake Shields at UFC 129 back on April 29 in Toronto.

Diaz most recently scored an improbable come-from-behind victory via first round technical knockout over British striker Paul "Semtex" Daley back on April 9, and has been vocal about finding new challenges outside the Strikeforce promotion.

The Canadian Press caught up with St-Pierre, who had the following to say about his upcoming fight with Diaz:

"I'm excited, because it's been a long time he's been talking about me, saying like he's the best, he was saying I was avoiding him and stuff. But I never avoid anybody.

Now it's time to walk the walk.

It's going to be a good fight. For me, I don't care about the other title. The title that means the most to me is UFC. It's the most prestigious one. The UFC is (like) the NFL of football, the Stanley Cup of hockey. That's the one that everyone's wants to have.

I know Diaz, the way he is. He's the kind of guy I'm happy to fight. I like fighting guys who are not easy like this, that have a kind of warrior spirit. I don't know him as a person but he's a very exciting guy to watch. I'm happy to fight him. He's going to bring the best out of me, because he's always putting on a good fight, going forward. It's going to be a good fight for me."


Making the fight come to light has been no easy task. It briefly appeared that Showtime was stepping in to block Diaz from leaving Strikeforce and fighting on UFC PPV events, which led to the UFC denying the rumors of meetings between the promotion and Diaz's people that much of the media were reporting. It’s nice to now be able to put all the speculation aside and look forward to this fight, because it’s probably going to be awesome.

By Adam Carney



Follow us on twitter @mmacombatDOTcom
facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...63733427002469
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mmacomba...m?feature=mhum
Blogger: http://mmacombatdotcom.blogspot.com/
And on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mmacombatdotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment