Wednesday 6 July 2011

MMA Combat - Henderson Satisfied with Career, Not Done Yet

MMA Combat - Henderson Satisfied with Career, Not Done Yet

Ahead of his highly anticipated superfight with fellow mixed martial arts legend Fedor Emelianenko (31-3-0) on July 30, 2011, Dan Henderson (27-8-0) caught up with mmajunkie.com where the Team Quest co-founder discussed his upcoming heavyweight bout with the stoic Russian among other things, including a moment of reflection on a long and prosperous career, and the short-term plan for "Hendo" as we look forward.

"I think we match-up real well for an exciting fight. I think I've got to wear him out early in the fight and really make him keep up a pretty good pace and get on top of him, as well. … I really hope he comes in great shape and motivated, re-motivated for this fight, because that's the Fedor I want to fight."

When the topic of weight inevitably came to the table, Henderson indicated that he would likely break the 206lbs mark, but not a pound more; confident as always, "Hendo" doesn't see a particular disadvantage contesting the bout at heavyweight.

"In the past, I've never felt small against heavyweights. I was excited for the fight, in general, and I don't care what he comes in at. I've never agreed with catchweights in the past, and I'm OK fighting up, so it is what it is."

The Strikeforce light heavyweight champion has made more than a dent in the history of the sport he loves, having competed for 14+ years against the highest available competition across all continents. But at nearly 41 years of age, the former PRIDE FC middleweight champion, two-time UFC title challenger, and current 205lbs Strikeforce champion has no plans of slowing down... at least not quite yet.

"[My plan is] not to lose again. I don't know how long I'm going to fight for. I'm sure I've got two or three more years in me. I kind of liked having fights back-to-back for a while and then having a little time off and do it again. I'm hoping to do that again toward the end of this year going into next year – have two or three fights back-to-back, where I cannot get too out of shape. I'm getting older now. I've got to keep my body in shape.... But as long as I can keep beating the young guys, I'm satisfied. I feel like I can still compete, and experience is invaluable in MMA. I'm pretty happy with the way my career has gone, and I'm not done yet."

Since dropping his Strikeforce debut to former 185lbs champion Jake Shields in April of 2010, Henderson has rattled off consecutive victories against Renato Sobral and Rafael Cavalcante at light heavyweight. Boasting one of the most impressive resumes in the sport's history, he'll attempt to add one more top-ten to the mantle later this month. Be sure to catch the action, Saturday July 30, as Strikeforce - Fedor vs. Henderson goes live from the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment