Wednesday 14 September 2011

Diaz Goes on Offensive, Points Finger at St. Pierre

http://www.mmacombat.com/blogs/blog297-diaz-goes-offensive-points-finger-st-pierre.html

Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz spends little time apologizing to anyone, and the latest episode in the life of Stockton, California's favorite son has been no different from those previous; bounced from the UFC 137 main-event after failing to show up for a pair of press-conferences in Toronto and Las Vegas respectively, Diaz continues to point the finger at others when recalling the events of last week, including promotion champ Georges St. Pierre.

In an interview Wednesday with MMAJunkie.com, Diaz held nothing back when communicating his thoughts on what transpired a week ago today.

"I really don't appreciate this mother [expletive] sitting there at that press conference and laughing at me," Diaz said. "That's some real bitch [expletive]. He's sitting there laughing like it's funny or something. If I saw Georges on the street and called him a bitch, I bet you he wouldn't do [expletive]... It makes me mad that Georges is going to sit there and call himself a fighter, but he's not going to stand up and say something about this. He's going to let it ride. I think I would say something. I would at least have said, 'I disagree. I don't agree with canceling my fight because of some dumbass [expletive].' Instead, he sat there and said, 'He doesn't have the commitment to be a champion.' What is that? I obviously have the commitment to throw my life away. I've thrown my life away and sacrificed everything so that I can fight. I did that. I threw my life away so I could work hard and train and fight. That's commitment."

While I don't know the man personally, St. Pierre's demeanor suggests that he would have been a compliant employee in whatever profession he chose to pursue; call it upbringing or inherent inclination, the champion keeps it on an even keel and regardless of his opponent, I find it hard to imagine a scenario where St. Pierre would have protested against the employer who has given him nearly everything he has today.

In fact, some might call it commendable and fresh that he's willing to accept a fight against a teammate. While Diaz continues to fight battles in his head, usually taking place on the street, he has repeated several times in the past that he would never fight a teammate of his (with Roberts, brother Nate at times, Shields, and himself all occupying the same division) and this same trend has created stagnation in the welterweight division in the past when AKA fighters Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, and Mike Swick all declared the same position years prior. MMA today has a global reach, but it remains an exclusive environment at the top of the sport and at times, logistically, these matches are unavoidable.

The champion has taken on all challengers and beaten more top-ten opponents than Diaz has shared a fight-card with his entire career and he should be grateful for the fight that was offered to him in Penn. While I remain a fan of his antics, and without question his tenacity in the cage, Dana White has never been proven more correct about a fighter, Diaz's mouth remains his most formidable foe to date.

Follow us on twitter @mmacombatDOTcom
facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...63733427002469
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mmacomba...m?feature=mhum
Blogger: http://mmacombatdotcom.blogspot.com/
And on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mmacombatdotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment