Thursday 1 March 2012

Edgar Pushes for Rematch With Henderson - MMA Combat

Edgar Pushes for Rematch With Henderson - MMA Combat

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar will not go quietly into the night, or down to 145lbs in this case as is encouraged by so many influences around him, fans and UFC brass alike.

Jose Aldo, a dominate and marketable champion in his own right, finds himself reigning over a division not unlike that of the middleweights (at times over the years); one without a clear #1 contender to the King's throne, a fight that would be compelling for the fans. Edgar would put people in the seats, and the bout could potentially become the most anticipated featherweight contest in the sport's history.

But Edgar wants to make that move on his terms, and in "The Answer's" mind, he's still the rightful owner of the promotion gold he lost not one week ago. Normally soft-spoken, Edgar intended to have his message heard while on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani, and he made it clear he has no intentions of making the drop to featherweight at this time.

"I'm saying it, and I'm saying it loud: I want my rematch," Edgar said on MMAFighting's MMA Hour. "I'm not going to have these antics or play these games. I'm telling you want I want. This is what I want. I think it's fair. I think the fans want to see it. It was fight of the night.... "I think the rematch makes sense on several levels," he said. "Not only can the UFC be good guys, I think I earned it. Economically, they’ve been investing money in me. I've been at the helm of this weight class for two years now. I think it just makes sense for them and obviously for me. Let’s do it."

Edgar naturally has echoed the thoughts of many who took the fight in that night, including myself and UFC president Dana White; feeling that he should have walked away with the decision in Saitama, Japan, or at very least, a draw. Tasting defeat for only the second time in his professional career, and the first time in nearly four years, it's tough to tell the fiery competitor that he doesn't belong in the division or his career would be better served elsewhere. At this point, the man has earned the right to determine his own direction and whether he gets the rematch he's calling for or not, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

"I’m staying at 155," he said. "This is where I’m at right now. I still feel like I got a run left. I still want that title back."


Check out our user-friendly mobile page!
Follow us on twitter @mmacombatDOTcom
facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...63733427002469
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mmacomba...m?feature=mhum
Blogger: http://mmacombatdotcom.blogspot.com/
And on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mmacombatdotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment