Monday 22 August 2011

MMA Combat - Miller Ponders Joining 145lbs Ranks

MMA Combat - Miller Ponders Joining 145lbs Ranks

UFC lightweight contender Cole "Magrinho" Miller (18-5-0) has been nothing short of a success inside the octagon since competing in season 5 of the UFC's reality series, The Ultimate Fighter. Amassing a record of 7-3 since his promotion debut in 2007, Miller has proven a finisher, stopping five of his opponents in that stretch by way of submission; the American Top Team product and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown-belt under Ricardo Liborio has however found difficulty in putting together the kind of streak of leads to title shots. Victories in his first two octagon appearances were followed by a TKO loss to Jeremy Stephens. Miller bounced back with two more wins only to see his momentum stopped by Efrain Escudero, before two more W's lead to a third disappointment when Miller was out-pointed by Matt Wiman in January of this year. Now coming off a win once more against T.J. O'Brien at UFC Live 5 - Hardy vs. Lytle, "Magrinho" is pondering a move to the 145lbs ranks he once competed in. In an interview with The Savage Dog Show on the Sherdog Radio Network, Monday, Miller had the following comments to make regarding the decision.

“That’s a major career move, moving down to that weight. I haven’t made that weight in quite some time, but I had never really fought at 155 except for one time before ‘The Ultimate Fighter.’ All my fights before that were at 145, but I was smaller and I hadn’t really grown into my body and my frame yet. Now I’m a little bit bigger, but I’m still not big. I’m definitely one of the smaller lightweights weight-wise. My walkaround weight is pretty much the same as what I am on fight day, which is about 167 pounds. I know that 145 is achievable. … I always imagined being a champion at 145 pounds or 65 kilos. My original dream was to be the Shooto champion at 65 kilograms. … I feel like in the next couple of years I’ll be coming into my prime. I think that the timing’s right and it’s time for me to move down. I think that I can be a serious threat and a contender.”

With a 6'1" frame it's hard to imagine the man they call "skinny" in Portuguese dropping back down to featherweight at 27 years of age when bodies normally begin to fill-out even more so, but there's no doubt many in the division would have difficulty with his range and submission ability; others have already vacated the uber-deep lightweight division for the featherweight class, will Miller make it official and be the next?


Follow us on twitter @mmacombatDOTcom
facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...63733427002469
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mmacomba...m?feature=mhum
Blogger: http://mmacombatdotcom.blogspot.com/
And on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mmacombatdotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment